Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Look what I made!

I have not been so inordinately pleased with myself in ages! So much pleasure out of something so horrible. Maybe I should give it to my mother, as it's about on the level of a grade one mother's day project.

I give you... my first machine made sock (or some reasonable facsimile thereof):



The scale seems seriously fucked up. In case you need a better look:

Note the heel is half way down my foot and by my calculations this should have been a knee-high. Har.

As I was taking the photo I had a blinding revelation. Machine knitting is all about gauge. Know your stitch and row gauge, then you don't measure anything, you just count. (It's impossible to measure on the machine. IMpossible.) My gauge couldn't have been THAT far off, could it? Really?

cue bolt of lightning

Nope. But when you're knitting in the round, the counter counts each pass as a row, so a round needs TWO rows. When you think my masterpiece is shrunken by a factor of two, it's not really so bad. One might even say... pretty good.

Know any shrunken midgets with fat legs who need socks?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DUDE you rOCK! it's like a sock if you had a big permanent cyst right there on mid-foot.

I don't really know any midgets, but i know some people with small feet and large cankles.

Lise said...

Slug don't get no socks. No WAY. No matter how cankley she might be.