Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cranky... and off topic

Reformatted this so it's not so narrow and cramped but I don't know if I can be bothered to redo the previous posts.

Lists are great. Today's list will be people/entities that I hate.

1. The Toronto District School Board http://www.tdsb.ca/
They have the balls nerve and cheek to send out a pretty little sheet saying how wonderful it is that we have "high-quality child care centres, located in our schools, for you child's safety and your convenience". HA. Are they from Mars? Have they tried to get their child into one of these centres? Short of a large fistful of cash and a large stoke of luck, it ain't gonna happen. If you get you child in in preschool, maybe, but get on the list when you're pregnant or your screwed. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

2. My insurance company (it's irrelevant who, I'm sure they're all the same)
They send me a lovely letter saying I am woefully under insured and I should have my rebuild costs up from $184K to $299K. Is that not a rather large jump? It's a tiny house. I guess that would essentially double my insurance premiums. And what's with the "additional structure" on my policy? The kids plastic playhouse? It better not STILL be the cottage or I will blow a gasket.

3. Metro Toronto Tax Consultants http://www.metropropertytax.ca/
I used them to file my appeal in the spring of 2006. They get half of the possible tax savings if they do the PITA of going though the appeal process, fair enough. I get a letter yesterday (I had pretty much given up hope of ever hearing from them as they abolished the MPAC assessment process in 2006) saying the house had been reassessed ant my property value lowered by about 6%. Great.

Then I read a bit further. First of all, they want me to cough up half of the tax savings for 2006 AND 2007 when it says on the application form SPECIFICALLY isn't half of one years savings only. Second of all, they didn't even appeal, they just let the request for reconsideration go through, it was reconsidered and they dropped it.

I could have done the request for reconsideration - that just involved filling out a form and sending it in - I did it one year. But I wanted, for the money they're getting, for them to actually DO something - maybe some of the things they professed to do:" manage the entire appeal process for you, including all hearings, documentation, negotiations, exchanges and requests for information, property inspections, negotiations and settlements." HA.

4. Roofers. Well, all tradespeople in general but today it's roofers
I am not prepared to go there. My doctor has advised me that recurrent episodes of shockingly high blood pressure could be dangerous. She may have a point.

Will anyone call me back? Will someone concede I have a valid point? Will I get justice, clarification, satisfaction? Stay tuned.

Oh, and that stupid brown 4x hat? I have now reknit the crown several times - it really is the 4x hat. Though I love the blue wave - I want that wave on everything. Perhaps blue knit wave undies?

No comments: