Wednesday, March 11, 2009

D is for dummy, disorganized, dumbass and dumb luck

Again I win the award for the worst mother ever. I constantly feel like I am juggling 10 balls in the air and I'm about to drop them all . If reality, I'm lucky if I only drop one or two. This time it's fucking swimming - AGAIN. You would think I would know better by now. I was SURE I had the right registration date in my head. Positive in fact, but I thought I'd start getting my ducks in a row and check things out today. Imagine my disgust when I realized TODAY was the registration. For those of you who are thinking "good save - you were lucky to check it on the right day!" think again. Trying to get into swimming in Toronto is a competitive sport in itself. You have to line yourself up at 7am with your client numbers (good luck finding those), course codes and credit card info, and dial/refresh like your life depends upon it. If not, you are so screwed. There are 4 kids in a preschool swimming class, and trying to get your kid into one that's outside of working hours and before they go to bed… good luck.

I didn't have anything - my client numbers are at home, of course and I didn't even have the book at work. After a bout of self-flagellation, in desperation I decided to phone up and get my numbers and then see what I could crowbar myself into. I hit the jackpot in the shape of a lovely and competent operator. Not only did she get Calvin into a class, she got Jack in! I wasn't going to register Calvin without Jack (the prospect of that nightmare makes my head spin) so I am delighted.

There's an upside and a downside to the scenario, of course.

Down: They're not going on the same day, so that means two days of swimming performance.
Up: They did get in

Down: Jack's class is on the weekend and across town in Parkdale
Up: It's on a Sunday and STD will have to take him half the time.

It's hard not to find pleasure in the little things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

d can also be for DUDE - you rocked that problem right out. RIGHT OUT sista.