Friday, April 1, 2011

A whole new chapter...

Ya, I knw.  Things were getting a bit stale, eh?  So now I'm introducing a whole new level of fascinating posts - DERBY !

Today's post involves the badly designed grommets in my skate boots.  I've been skating for about 8 weeks and I noticed the other day that one of my laces was almost severed in half:
I couldn't figure out why until I looked carefully at the gromments and on my right boot the grommets were really hsarp.  Also, the right hand ones had cracked.  Recipe for disaster if you're a skate lace.

This one doesn't look so bad but you can see how the top is much narrower - and sharper! - than the bottom.















So I got out my hand dandy chisel and proceeded to shave them down.  They're plastic, not metal, so it was an easy job.













I have new laces now!













...and my boots are relaced and ready to go for tomorrows practice!

Too bad the stupid laces are still too short.  Who designs this stuff????

1 comment:

GUNTer said...

yes! i like this topic of interest and the inside scoop from a real derby gal.
question: does most derby fashion involve skull/crossbones?