Friday, May 21, 2010

Another proud parenting moment

As a conscientious mother, I often volunteer for activities in my kid's classrooms. Nothing says I love you like a day with your mommy at school. Today was Yellowfish Road, where we go out and paint yellow fish (surprise) on the street by the storm sewers. This raises awareness for the quality of water that runs off the street and straight into the lake from the storm sewers.

Anyway, Calvin and Jack had a busy night last night, boogying until past bedtime and not going to sleep until, Calvin informs me, 10 pm. Shocking. So when he complained this morning about being tired I was unsurprised and unsympathetic. I agreed he looked a little rough around the edges, brushed his hair to give the illusion of a well-dressed child and dragged them both off to school, on foot, god forbid.

Half way through Oh Canada, Calvin breaks formation (completely out of character) and hustles over to me, saying he's sick and wants to go home. I have to admit he did look pretty crappy. I saw him cough and almost gag and hustled him post haste into the washroom. Needless to say we did not yellow fish road.

Poor dude slept ALL day. He did rouse himself long enough to play Uno and Picaseroni (or something like that) but he ate nothing, did nothing and had a fever of 102. Nice going, mommy.

Anyway, I got some prototype big bags made. One with regular interfacing, which I think is too floppy, and one with "medium" weight interfacing. While the bag looks great and stands up nicely, the interfacing itself bites. It's made from some coarse-weave fabric which is seriously pokey at the cut ends. I think it will snag yarn like crazy. I'm going to make another with the other thick interfacing, but I think it's too thick. I could do two layers of thinner interfacing, but that might just push me over the edge into not-worth-my-while...

I like the blue one. I can't sell it as it's too pokey but I could keep it. What a sacrifice.

No comments: