Sunday, May 10, 2009

JLT Showhouse

My neighbour Amanda volunteers with the Junior League of Toronto and she sent me an invite to the tour of McLean house, which a whole bunch of designers had done up as a fundraiser for JLT. I agreed because it was a good cause, and I thought it might be fun.

It was awesome.

The house itself is great - lots of little nooks and crannies and HUGE. Some rooms were bigger than my entire first floor, but some were just tiny little nooks done up so nicely! The hall downstairs had these fixtures made up of a couple of halogen bulbs shining on a sphere of hanging prisms - it was spectacular. I want to make one.One room was an homage to Chanel, and it was gorgeous - a dressing room, not very big, in black and white of course, quilted wallpaper - just so simpleand elegant and classy. The main bedroom - surrounded on three sides by huge old windows (imagine how cold it would be in winter!) - was spectacular. I would never leave. But my favourite was the basement - a suite set up as the "secret" lady suite. Very un-ladylike I thought. The walls were brick, the ceiling had all exposed ducts and wiring, but it was all sprayed gray and looked FABULOUS. The floors were polished concrete with a few layers of poly and looked superb. Minimal lighting but it still looked FAB. I am going to do this to my basement. Two loveseats, TV on the wall, wide shelving for toys, fabulous polished floor and a throw rug.

So inspiring. I will never live in a house like that but it gives you so many ideas! I want to put all the contents of my house in a dumpster and start again.

2 comments:

mjm knitting said...

Love the photo. I want one of those now too!

Lise said...

Thanks - the pic came out way better than I expected! If I could just find a cheap source of those prisms...