Saturday, May 9, 2009

A little updating

The mundanities of my life have been somewhat neglected lately. I shall rectify this immediately.

1. I am rowing! I joined the Viking rowing team at work. I'm not really a joiner, but when the request for volunteers came through right when I met Tom, it seemed fortuitous. So I joined. Turns out we practice at the Bayside Rowing club, which is right at the bottom of Carlaw, so it could not be more convenient. Also - it is SO fun! Since the people doing it are there because they want to be, everyone is positive and enthusiastic. Also - very hard work, especially upper body and lower back. Let's get Jen the wonder physiotherapist on speed-dial.

Bayside is into "inclusive" rowing, lettting regular public school kids row rather than the other clubs who have teams from Havergill, UCC, etc. They're trying to make the demographic in rowing more representative of the population of Canada, and thus do this fundraising to get inner city, non-wealthy kids into rowing. Good on you, mates. Why should the snotty rich kids have all the fun?

2. I am knitting lace! Reluctantly, and not well. I am doing the Lotus Blossom tank from IK somethingorother, which looks great on the model but I suspect I shall look like I'm wearing a tablecloth. Not fast knitting, either. I've done almost two repeats of the lace (of five or six) and managed to fuck up the first one. It's not brutal so I'm leaving it. Much thanks to LicketyKnits' modifications which might make it look a little less like arse.3. I am Bonding. Well, I am "helping" (read "micromanaging") Miko as she knits a series of overdue projects at warp speed. Baby blanket, Snake, and Bee for Bea.


I'm getting much better at this, mostly due to my "real" knitting machine which gives much better advice on how to use it. Also - Kay brought my lace carriage with her (we shall not discuss my rage at the effing customs people who opened the box with their box cutters and sliced ALL the lace punchcards) so I am DYING to get it set up and try my hand at lace on the machine. It'll probably be better than lace by my hands... but I have to set it up upstairs, not the basement and I don't have an appropriate table.

4. And last but not least I am running. Two weeks down, an infinite number to go.

No comments: