Monday, March 17, 2008

Alcohol and a Wiinus - what more could I ask for?

Ah, the glorious weekend. Finally, FINALLY, I felt better and I didn’t have the kids and I took full advantage of the convergence of the planets under my sun.

Friday night, once I had established that no tall, dark, accented man was going to magically sweep me off my feet and take me away for a magnificent romantic weekend, I went out to the drunken knitters night with the gals from the Purple Purl. What a time.

We started off at the store where we did a little moderate knitting and some light tequila drinking. Now there was a new and novel experience for me. Not the tequila, but enjoying it. We had no lime so we subbed lemon, and no salt so we used sugar. Coarse brown sugar. It was awesome! No yucky salty afterbite, just sweet lemonade to wash down the not-so-hideous tequila. It was brought from Mexico by the non-drinker in the crowd, go figure, and it was MUCH better than the usually gut-rot I’ve had reluctantly in the past.

Then we went up to the Spotted Dick where we were unable to sit with the other bunch of knitters as there wasn’t enough room. That was fine with me as I don’t know any of them and we all know how much I like strangers.

Had an awesome time. Fellow Guiness drinkers, giggles, poutine (my poor arteries), sugar cubes on the needles, the neverending dog bed. A good time all round. Rolled out around 12:30 and took the subway back with Jenn.

Saturday… I shall gloss over the $30 parking ticket, the hideous hours spent at the Eaton’s centre looking for work clothes *shudder* (though the Anne Klein red patent sling-backs rocked my world, even at $120), the fact that I had two buy TWO freakin’ Buzz Lightyears… an experience I’d rather forget.

After a 3 hour nap (shockingly lazy, I know. I chalk it up to still being in recovery) I called my lovely friend Tara (who was bunking chez 360 Bloor while her and the hub went to Canada Blooms). I went over there for a gourmet meal of tacos and beer (the hat was well received by the way – perfect fit and suits her to a T, ha ha) followed by a Wii extravaganza. Wiinus, hahahhahahahahahaa.

Now, I am a virtual Wii virgin, having only witnessed Calvin playing it at Aidan’s. What a hoot! Boxing, tennis, bowling, golf… and the stupid bunny games - hours of quality time wasted and I am SORE! Who knew a video game could give you sore muscles?? I didn’t roll out of there until 2:30 am! Thank god for cabs.

Sunday? A virtual spring cleaning extravaganza – lots of fresh air and bleach to banish the residual critters lingering in the air. So not like me but very satisfying none the less. AND I hung my curtains, which are very pleasing. Brown flocked taffeta.

And I ironed! All my blouses. I can’t even make myself wear them they look so nice. Maybe tomorrow, though I am taking the kids in so it might be a wasted effort. No – do it. You gotta look professional once in a while. Hmmm… skirt? I think so. Boots? Definitely.

I see some more sauntering in my future…

--Oh, and speaking of sauntering - Tara and I discussed the situation a bit. She had some fiendishly complex plans involving dropping thinly veiled hints , but the boys - who's opinions I value greatly as they are after all, men - said straightforward was the way to go. Ask him straight up, be prepared for rejection, move on.

Sometimes I think it'd be nice to think like a man.

No comments: