Saturday, March 8, 2008

Down to business

Since I seriously started knitting again a few years ago, I learned I know nothing about knitting. I'm only about two steps away from novice. I always thought I knew how to knit, and that was enough. I had no aspirations to learning new techniques or doing things better (or even properly). I was of the opinion that if I couldn't do it the way I learned it it wasn't worth doing.

I don't think it's that I didn't want to learn, I just didn't see the opportunity. I didn't have the time or inclination to take a class. After all, already knew how to knit. In fact, I would have been hard pressed to identify a topic I wanted to study.

Enter the Internet. Since I discovered "boards" (I don't even know what the real name for them is) when I was pregnant with Calvin, I have been hooked. All that information at you fingertips? People willing to offer an opinion (or listen to you yammer) on pretty much any topic? Heaven!

It started with diapers. I bought, discussed, commented and advised until Jack was born, and then I pretty much was done with that. By then I had branched out into the world of wool and that open up the whole world of internet knitting. The WW forums, the Yarn Harlot and Knitty...and then the thousands and thousands of sites with tips, techniques and patterns. More patterns than I could ever imagine, all at my fingertips. Talk about heaven! (We shall not broach the subject of online shopping - what is it about getting stuff in the mail that is so seductive?)

I think it's been the discussion boards that have most opened my mind. All those people talking about techniques I'd never heard about and I seem to have a mildly competitive streak in me - if someone else can do it I think I should be able to as well. Short rows - who knew? Kitchenering? Magical! Different methods of casting on, continental knitting, magic loop? Revolutionary!

And today, I learned something else that may well change my outlook on knitting substantially. I finally made myself sew up the seams on the socks, and since they are for someone else, they had to be much closer to perfect than my usual sloppy seaming. (In fact, I usually make my mother do it I'm so bad at it!).

I'd heard about mattress stitch, but never attempted it. I Googled it and with the help of this wonderful site I leaped in.

It was not awful, it was not torturous (well, a bit hard on the eyes, but I am over 40) and the results? Well, see for yourself. I am grateful for the invaluable assistance of Mr. Crocodile.


With the help of Crocodile's soft, light-coloured underbelly, I secured the edges in proximity to each other and began the process. It's actually a lot like what it must have been like lacing a Victorian lady into her foundation garments. Lace, lace lace, pull snug, repeat.

(D'ya know? I've had these pins since I was a teenager and haven't lost one!)





Lace lace lace....









Pulled snug - look how great that looks! You can see the seam here since the flash spares no detail but in reality it's almost invisible!









All done, ends sewn in....










A quick bath...

And we're done! Thanks mom, for the great sock blocker. Its the perfect size, probably the same vintage as the pattern, which is good. They might not be so compatible otherwise.

That's a cactus behind the sock - get your mind out of the gutter.

One more operation. Lets hope the patient is equally as cooperative.

And since I can't possible let a day go without a comment on the "situation"... I have decided notes are juvenile. Do it in person, all casual like, or don't do it at all. Hey, I heard on the CBC that a woman had such a rapport with her gynecologist after an exam she asked him out for coffee - this is NOTHING.

No comments: